Pirelli received numerous awards and recognition during 2013 for its sustainable performance accomplishments, the diversity of which reflects the sustainable approach throughout the entire value chain and towards all stakeholders. The principal awards it has received are listed below in reverse chronological order, from 2013. To give an overview on the last threeyear period, the principal awards and recognition received by Pirelli in 2012 and 2011 are also mentioned.
- Pirelli enters the Euronext-Vigeo Eurozone 120 index, which is comprised by the 120 companies with the highest sustainability rating of listed companies in the eurozone.
- Among the companies certified in information communication technology by SAP as a Skills Centre, Pirelli was a bronze winner in the innovation category.
- For the third year in a row, Pirelli is part of the STOXX® Global ESG Leaders Indices 2013-2014. The indices were compiled in 2011 by STOXX Limited which, on the basis of sustainability performance, selects 313 companies from among the 1,800 stocks included in an initial basket of international equities, the STOXX Global 1800 Index.
- “Pirelli Corporate App” was awarded as the best solution in the annual report category during the Digital Communication Awards 2013 ceremony. This is a prestigious European award given to digital communication campaigns and projects.
- Pirelli was added to the new sustainability index “Global Company 100” launched by UN Global Compact in collaboration with Sustainaltyics. Pirelli is the only tyre manufacturer in the world to be included on the index.
- For the seven year in a row, Pirelli was confirmed the world leader in the ATX Auto Components sector in the Dow Jones Sustainability World and Dow Sustainability Europe sustainability indices, with 85 points compared with a sector average of 51 points.
- According to the ranking prepared by Oekom Research AG, Pirelli is number one in terms of sustainability among automotive sector suppliers. Oekom Research AG is one of the top rating agencies for responsible investments (i.e. Socially Responsible Investments, or SRI), partner of institutional investors and provider of financial services. Analysts have assessed the sustainability performance of the 40 top suppliers in the global automotive sector.
- For its “commitment, competitiveness and capacity to innovate, with development of the Self Sealing technology that exhibits technological know-how and corporate capacity to meet future challenges”, Pirelli was given the “Global Champion” award as part of the Volkswagen Group Award, the prize that the car maker awards every year to its best suppliers. This award recognises the excellence of Pirelli in global partnership, product quality, competitiveness, project management and flexibility.
- Foreign Policy Association (FPA) awards the Chairman & C.E.O. of Pirelli, Marco Tronchetti Provera, with the Social Responsibility Award 2013 for his proven commitment to sustainability.
- Pirelli Metzeler Tourance™ is ranked the best enduro street tyre by the German magazine Motorrad Motorrad. The new Metzeler Tourance™ tyre won because it offered the most balanced performance under all test conditions, performing outstandingly under dry conditions, while exhibiting excellent handling under wet conditions, combined with its high mileage.
- Pirelli was granted the Quality Award by the Fiat Chrysler Group, which is given annually to the best suppliers of the Fiat Chrysler Group in Latin America in different categories. Pirelli won the prize in the chemical materials category.
- Pirelli received a Certificate of Merit from Honda. This award was given to Pirelli for the excellence of its car tyre products supplied to the Honda plant in Sumaré.
- Pirelli Latam was rewarded by Peugeot-Citroën for its manufacturing excellence.
- Pirelli received the top score from J.D. Power for having offered “the best original equipment tyre in the opinion of consumers in the SUV and Truck segment” (out of about 27,000 persons interviewed).
- Pirelli was awarded by the J.D. Power and Associates Institute (United States) for the seventh time for the results it achieved in the Original Equipment (OE) category.
- Versalis (Eni) and Pirelli signed an important Memorandum of Understanding to undertake a joint research project on the use of natural rubber from guayule in tyre production. The agreement with Versalis will complement and expand the commitment made by Pirelli to research on innovative materials from renewable sources, and particularly from biomasses. Pirelli, which already makes tyres using raw materials derived from rice husks (the non-edible part of the rice grain and normally used for combustion), aims at steadily reducing petroleum-derived components by replacing them with new raw materials that simultaneously guarantee constant improvement in the performance and environmental sustainability of processes and products.
- For the third year in a row, Pirelli was recognised as having the “Best Corporate Governance in Italy” in the World Finance Corporate Governance Award 2013.
- Mv Agusta, the prestigious Italian motorcycle maker, chose the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa™ SP as original equipment on the base versions of the R and RR models of the F4 2013 line.
- Pirelli was awarded by Jaguar Land Rover. Since 2011 Pirelli UK has always satisfied the requirements of JLRQ, the system used to monitor the performance of Jaguar Land Rover suppliers. Pirelli is the only tyre maker in Great Britain to have received this award.
- Pirelli was awarded the international SAP Innovation award in Madrid for its skill in combining technology with particularly innovative projects.
- Pirelli China received the “Sustainability Development in China 2011-2012” award, organised by the Chinese magazine Economic Observer, considered to be one of the three most important economic newspapers in China. The assessment criteria included economic performance, environmental protection and social responsibility.
- Pirelli was confirmed as the most famous tyre brand in Brazil for the tenth year in a row. This recognition comes in addition to the Top of Mind award. Pirelli was also the most famous company brand in the “Top Male” category of companies in all segments. The survey was conducted nationwide by the Istituto DataFolha. The award was given on October 24 in São Paulo, by the Folha de São Paulo Group.
- In the United States, the website of Pirelli & C. won the top spot in the prestigious WMA (Web Marketing Association – WebAward) ranking, being defined as an “Excellent Site” according to the standards of the New Media Awards, as part of a research project conducted by Columbia University.
- In Europe, the website of Pirelli & C. was ranked third in the Digital Communication Award 2012, the top European public relations and communication award hosted by the Berlin University of Applied Sciences. Here again, Pirelli competed against the top European contenders before a jury composed of 30 experts.
- For the third year in a row, Metzeler was the Italian Champion in the 600cc Supersport class of CIV. On the occasion of the 140th anniversary of the foundation of Pirelli in 1872, Chairman Marco Tronchetti Provera and the entire Pirelli top management were received by Italian President Giorgio Napolitano. “It is a great honour for me and all of us to have been received by President Napolitano on the occasion of the 140th anniversary of Pirelli,” said Marco Tronchetti Provera. “We are celebrating this birthday,” he continued, “together with the 36,000 persons around the world who share the pride of belonging to a Group that has been a standard bearer for the excellence of Italian industry worldwide.”
- The semi-annual audit conducted by the independent agency EIRIS reconfirms Pirelli on the ethical finance stock indices of the London Stock Exchange FTSE4Good (FTSE Global and FTSE4Good Europe), with a score of 100 points out of 100, up from 99 in March 2012 and 98 in September 2011.
- Pirelli, which has been on the FTSE4Good indices since 2002, has also been reconfirmed as the only Italian company in the automotive and parts sector to be listed on the index.
- On the basis of the Dealer Satisfaction Survey 2012, Pirelli Spain was recognised for the second year in a row as having the best customer service in that country. The analysis was carried out by Pirelli Marketing together with the statistical analysis company CREA.
- The Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tyre won the “Tyre of the Year Award” given by Motorcycle News, one of the most prestigious awards in the motorcycle business.
- The Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tyre was recognised as the Best Touring Tyre by the prestigious German Motorrad Magazine.
- Pirelli won the Marcas Confiables 2012 Award in Argentina for the fourth year in a row, proving to be one of the favourite tyres in Argentina according to the survey conducted by Selecciones (Reader’s Digest), a leading magazine worldwide with more than 100 million readers.
- For the sixth year in a row, Pirelli was confirmed the world leader in the Autoparts and Tyres sector in the Dow Jones Sustainability World and Dow Sustainability Europe sustainability indices, with 86 points compared with a sector average of 53 points. The results of the 2012 revision of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices were announced on September 13, 2012 by Robeco SAM, the Swiss asset manager focused on sustainable investments, and by S&P Dow Jones Indices.
- In China the Pirelli P1 won the most highly sought recognition in the tyre business. On August 2, 2012 the magazine Motor Trend recognised the Pirelli Cinturato P1 as the “Environmentally Friendly Tyre of China 2012,” by affirming that it has absolutely unique characteristics in terms of efficiency and sustainability. The judges examined how the tyre can play an important role in reducing harmful emissions and how firms can improve their ethical and social responsibility practices to promote sustainable vehicle use.
- Porsche gave Pirelli its Supplier Award 2011 for the great results it achieved as supplier. Pirelli was recognised in the “Material for Production” category in Munich for its commitment and reliability in managing new projects. The crowning achievement in development of the latest versions of the Porsche Carrera and Boxster, Pirelli was recognised for its extraordinary flexibility in satisfying requests.
- Pirelli received the “Best Enterprise Brand Image Award” for 2012 in China, at a finance summit that is one of the most important business events of the year. “The growing economic power of China” was the principal theme of the event, which was focused on four key aspects: green, innovation, reputation and development. Summit participants discussed the results and great improvements made by China, with a focus on the progress made in the green economy, business innovation and sustainable development.
- The March 2012 revision conducted by the independent agency EIRIS reconfirmed Pirelli on the ethical finance indices of the Financial Times “FTSE4Good,” with a score of 99 points out of 100, up from 97 in March 2011.
- The Pirelli Water Project was rewarded in Brazil. The Pirelli factory at Campinas, Brazil won the prestigious prize awarded by FIESP (Federation of Industries São Paulo). This recognition highlighted the commitment of our Brazilian colleagues in treating water after it is used in production. This award marked a first for Pirelli Brazil, which beat the tough competition fielded by several respected companies. The awarded project was the result of a gradual investment made over the last year, which allowed the reuse of 100% of the water treated inhouse, plus a reduction of 35% in the volume of water drawn from the Capivari River. This important prize is the result of a series of analyses and tests conducted by public companies responsible for managing water resources.
- The survey by Encircle Marketing, a firm specialised in post-sale automotive market research, Sell Out and Selling Way prices, declared Pirelli to be the most highly recommended tyre brand of the year, for the second year in a row, receiving 6.7% of all recommendations in the sector.
- Pirelli was named world sustainability leader in the “Autoparts and Tyres” Sector and Gold Class Company for the fifth year in a row in the prestigious Sustainability Yearbook 2012, published by SAM Group in collaboration with KPMG.
- The biennial study presented by the international rating agency Vigeo entitled Non-discrimination and Equal Opportunities in the workplace ranked Pirelli among the 20 most advanced European companies in terms of equal opportunity and workplace non-discrimination management. The survey covered 539 companies, 34 sectors and 18 countries, or 80% of European market capitalisation.
- Pirelli received the 82nd Tyre and Fast Fit Awards (TAFF) from the National Tyre Distributors Association (NTDA), an association that promotes the interests of tyre resellers in the United Kingdom. The various candidates that were selected by resellers, until they were narrowed down to the five most voted brands in 2011, were Continental, Michelin, Yokohama, Hankook and Pirelli. Product safety and reliability standards were the items that led to Pirelli being awarded.
- Pirelli was named the most famous tyre brand in Brazil for the ninth year in a row. This recognition was flanked by the Top of Mind award, in the Top Male category. Pirelli was also the most famous brand among companies in all segments. The survey was conducted nationwide by the Istituto DataFolha. The award was given on October 25 in São Paulo, by the Folha de São Paulo Group.
- Following the 2011 revision of the Dow Jones indices – carried out by SAM Group, the Swiss asset manager responsible for assessment, admission or exclusion of the companies from the Dow Jones sustainability equity indices – Pirelli was confirmed global Sustainability Leader in the Auto parts & Tires sector for the fifth year in a row, as part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World and Europe indices.
- Pirelli is one of the 100 companies with the best reputation in the world, being ranked 31 in the 2011 Global RepTrakTM100, the most authoritative annual reputational survey of the world’s biggest companies conducted by the Reputation Institute. The ranking is the result of a survey conducted in April 2011 of 48,000 consumers in 15 countries who gave their opinion on a panel composed of the 100 top companies in the world.
- The new Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tyres finished first in the annual comparative test of sports tyres conducted by two prestigious, specialised German publications: Motorrad and PS. The series of innovations developed over seven years as official supplier of WSBK enabled the Diablo Rosso II to beat the competition, with awesome track performance using highway tyres. It got the highest score for road hold and grip in dry conditions
- In China Pirelli won the “best marketing award” during the China Auto Aftersales Summit Forum Awards.
- Pirelli was rewarded at the London Stock Exchange as the Italian business with the best corporate governance. This recognition took the form of the World Finance Award 2011, the prestigious international prize that since 2007 has selected leading businesses in the areas of corporate governance and financial activity management. The survey by The Boston Consulting Group (BCG), a global leader in business strategy consulting, ranked Pirelli in the top ten of value creators. In fact, the Company was one of the top ten Italian companies that posted the highest rates of stock earnings in 2010.
- At Moline, Illinois in the United States, John Deere, one of the biggest makers of agricultural and construction equipment in the world, gave Pirelli Agro its highest recognition in the Hall of Fame sector, awarded every year only to those suppliers that over time (five years) have been confirmed as offering excellent products and service. For the fifth year in a row, Pirelli Agro Brasil won the world prize for excellence as best supplier.
- In Tokyo Pirelli won the Toyota Regional Contribution Award as best supplier of tyres to this Japanese car maker in South America. The prize, awarded by the Chairman of Toyota, was given as part of the Toyota Global Contribution Award. Pirelli, the first tyre supplier to receive this prestigious Toyota award, was recognised for quality, price and prompt deliveries.
- PZero won the summer tyre tests organised by the specialised German magazine Auto Zeitung, which pitted 14 different tyres makers against each other in the 225/45 R 17 tyre category. In six tests under wet conditions, PZero proved exceptional in stopping from 100 km/h, safe driving and road hold, and very good in aquaplaning. In the seven tests under dry conditions, PZero stunned observers by its extremely fast speed in curves and directional stability.
- In China, at the Guangzhou Auto Show, the magazine Auto News ranked the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyre as “The best balanced tyre of the year.” The Cinturato P7 stood out for its road hold, stability, tread pattern optimised to reduce noise and the low-carbon emissions production process.
- In England, Pirelli was ranked as the Most Recommended Tyre Brand for 2010, according to the market survey conducted by Encircle Marketing.
- Pirelli won the first edition of the Lundquist Employer Branding Online Awards Italy 100, qualifying as number one in Italy in online communication of employer branding, i.e. the company’s appeal as employer on the basis of the transparent, clear and concise communication through which it seeks to attract job applicants. The analysis considers the principal components of online employer branding: Proposition (how the company presents itself and what it offers to employees), Recruitment (information for job candidates) and User experience (presentation of content).