Pirelli monitors and reports its own energy consumption by using three principal indicators:
- absolute consumption, measured in GJ, which includes the total consumption of electrical energy, thermal energy, natural gas and petroleum derivatives (fuel oil, gasoline, diesel, and LPG);
- specific consumption, measured in GJ per tonne of finished product, which indicates the energy used to produce a tonne of finished product;
- specific consumption, as measured in GJ per euro of Operating Income.
In November 2013 the Pirelli Industrial Plan was revised and extended to 2017, with Vision on certain issues to 2020. This long-term strategy has renewed the specific energy consumption target, by reducing it to 18% in 2020 as compared with 2009 values. In 2013 the energy efficiency plan continued at all Group plants continued in 2013. This had already been undertaken over the last several years and has been characterised by the following actions:
- improving energy management systems, by exactly measuring consumption and focusing daily on technical indicators;
- improving the quality of energy transformation by streamlining resource and plant use;
- improving the efficiency of distribution plants;
- improving the efficiency of production plants;
- recovering energy for other uses;
- applying targeted maintenance plans in order to reduce energy waste.
The efficiency improvement actions follow internal assessment rules. In the case of investments, these comply with the criteria of economic benefit normally applied to Pirelli industrial projects. The economic aspect is also completed by assessment of its environmental impact, in accordance with the reporting rules applied to this Sustainability Report. The areas for technical action both concern the traditional themes applied to each industrial area, such as modernisation of thermal insulation, maintenance of distribution plants, use of technologies using inverters, and special projects assessed according to the needs of each manufacturing site. The actions undertaken in 2013 include the new thermal power plant at one of the Russian plants and start-up of the thermal recovery operations that provide energy for heating the Settimo Torinese plant. The first project will make it possible drastically to reduce thermal energy consumption through the reduction of nearly five kilometres of distribution networks. The second project will provide nearly one third of heating through the recovery of thermal wastes both from the manufacturing cycle and from the new cogeneration plant. As explained in the paragraph “Performance Index Trend”, the weight of the energy index on tons of finished product fell slightly by -1%, as compared with 2012. In contrast, the weight of the energy index on operating income grew by 4% from 2012, although the trend was still in steep decline over the past three years (-27% since 2011). The reported data were calculated by using direct measurements according to procedure and were subsequently converted into GJ by using heating values from official IPCC sources.
The energy efficiency plan applied to factories in 2013 made it possible to save about 190,000 GJ. This value was calculated on the basis of the production volumes of the reporting year and the change in efficiencies achieved in 2013 from the previous year.
The following graph illustrates the distribution of the energy sources used by Pirelli and reported overall in the previous graphs. The direct sources, all of fossil origin, include natural gas and, in smaller quantities, other liquid fuels such as oil, LPG and diesel (the last two classified as “others”). These direct sources constitute 31% of the whole. The remaining 69% is made up of indirect sources of purchased electrical energy and steam. On the basis of IEA (International Energy Agency) data, about 38% of electric power is generated by renewable sources.
DISTRIBUTION OF ENERGY SOURCES
Every industrial plant complies with local laws in regard to energy consumption and management. No substantial changes have been made since 2012. Certain countries are introducing incentive mechanisms for the firms that certify their own energy management system. For example, the Energy Efficiency Directive 2012/27/EU that was issued to accelerate achievement of the 20-20-20 targets in Europe requires that all large enterprises conduct an energy audit by the end of 2015.
This obligation may be satisfied with the ISO 50001 certification. Likewise, the rate subsidies for high-energy consuming plants, according to the different definitions that are locally given, are increasingly conditioned on performance of energy audits or certification of the management system.